You might be aware of the famous nursery rhyme “Hey Diddle Diddle” and know the poem’s lines by heart. The rhyme may sound like gibberish, but the “Hey Diddle Diddle” song is itself very imaginative and hilarious at the same time. It makes children laugh a lot while stimulating their imagination.
This funny nursery rhyme dates back to 18th century England. Although the song’s origins are unclear, the first known version of the “Hey Diddle Diddle” rhyme was published in 1765 under the title “High Diddle Diddle”.
Lyrics Of Hey Diddle Diddle In English
Below is the most famous version of the “Hey Diddle Diddle” poem that is printed in nursery books today. The lyrics of the rhyme reads as follows:
Hey diddle diddle,
The Cat and the fiddle,
The Cow jumped over the moon,
The little Dog laughed,
To see such sport,
And the Dish ran away with the Spoon.
What Will Your Child Learn From Hey Diddle Diddle?
There are numerous benefits of learning a nursery rhyme for children. “Hey Diddle Diddle” rhyme will help your child learn the following things:
- This rhyme will teach your child about spatial concepts and positional words.
- This rhyme will introduce your kids to some new words mentioned ahead.
- This rhyme will allow your child to know the name of various animals.
- This rhyme will help your kid know about rhyming words.
- This rhyme will help your kid articulate words, modulate their voices, and enunciate.
- This rhyme will encourage your child to create mental pictures of the poem, expanding their imagination.
- This funny rhyme will allow your kid to develop a sense of humour.
Theme Of Hey Diddle Diddle
This funny nursery rhyme is about innocent animals playing. The poem is designed to please children with highly effective imaginary visuals like a ‘cow jumping over the moon.’
The major themes of the poem are wonder and surprise. The poet has intentionally inserted unique imagery to incite happiness in the mind of the readers. The poet has carefully used the words in the poem that can make the children laugh at strange happenings.
Rhyming Scheme Of Hey Diddle Diddle
“Hey Diddle Diddle” is a six-line nursery rhyme that follows the AABCDB rhyme pattern.
Words That Your Child Will Learn From Hey Diddle Diddle
In the poem “Hey Diddle Diddle”, there are several words that your child can learn. Let’s look at some of them:
- Diddle – Fiddle
- Moon – Spoon
1. Colour While Singing
Give your child a sheet with printables of each of the following and ask them to colour it:
- Picture of a cow
- Picture of the moon
- Picture of a dog
- Picture of a spoon
Encourage them to recite the rhyme while colouring. The activity will not only help in developing their language skills but will also enhance their fine motor skills while colouring.
2. Guessing Game
- Take a printout of animals and things mentioned in the rhyme. Make a flash card and write the name next to it in capital letters. For example, for the moon – paste the picture of a moon on the flashcard and next to it, write MOON.
- Now show the flashcard to your child and let them guess what it is and what it says. We are sure your child will answer it correctly.
1. Is “Hey Diddle Diddle” a Christmas rhyme?
No, Hey Diddle Diddle is an English nursery rhyme.
2. Did the cow really jump over the moon?
No. The rhyme is only to make the children laugh.